Welcome Home

I am not a counselor; therefore I cannot offer professional advice or take responsibility for anyone else's life by my own. What I can offer though are words of encouragement and wisdom from my own journey - a journey of healing that is ongoing and lifelong. I am a 44 year old birthmother. Twenty one years ago, there was no venue for me to express my grief and receive the support from others who had walked in my shoes years before. I created this blog for that very purpose. I want to share my story with you - the highs and lows, the memories, the heartache, the joy – and encourage you to keep on. On this page, you will find inspirational songs, birthmother stories, buttons connecting you to additional birthmother support and to faith-based websites and sources for professional help . Together, let's celebrate the heroic choice that each of us has made to put the precious life of another human being before our own. Welcome home!

Monday, December 1, 2014

Thankful

http://adoption.com/our-placement-story/

Thankful
 
Today, a woman places her child into the arms of another. A birthmother loses a piece of her soul and the soul of an adoptive is complete. There is no anger; no resentment; just love and gratitude from two different women brought together from love, for love and to love a child.
 
Thankful. Sometimes the pain seems too intense; the loss so profound that it seems impossible to be thankful for anything. But in the midst of darkness, there is always something to be grateful for.
 
I am grateful for a woman that loves my son as much as I do.
I am grateful for a woman who sacrificed so much to raise my boy.
I am grateful that my son has a father to teach him how to be a man.
I am grateful that he has a mother to nurture him and demonstrate lasting love.
I am grateful that my son was raised with a strong faith.
I am grateful that my son had the opportunity to follow his dreams.
I am grateful that my son was able to use his athletic ability.
I am grateful that my son has had experiences that I never could have given him.
I am grateful that my son was raised in safety.
I am grateful that my son was never in want.
I am grateful that I was loved by my son's family.
I am grateful that I was included as his extended family.
I am grateful that I wasn't forgotten on holidays.
I am grateful that my son's mother was courageous enough to remember me on Mother's Day.
I am grateful that I was cared for by a wonderful adoption agency.
I am grateful that they advocated for me, my needs and my desires.
I am grateful that I have been able to use my loss to help others through theirs.
 
I could go on. I don't always feel thankful but there is always something to be thankful for. Last week, as I grieved my 23rd Thanksgiving without my son, I am still thankful for his amazing adoptive family - his real family - for making memories with him that will last a lifetime. So Happy Thanksgiving to my son and his family. Happy Thanksgiving to all the adoptive families and birth parents on this journey of love and loss. I am so very thankful for all of you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment